Ian McCracken Photography
Architecture and Urban
The entrance to St.Enoch subway station in Glasgow
The St.Enoch square entrance to the subway
Located in North Street, St.Andrews, the Younger Hall was constructed in 1923-29 as the graduation hall for the university. It now provides the main concert venue for the town and is home to the Music Department of the university.
A long-established hairdressing salon in George Street, Edinburgh
Low tide at Kirkcaldy beach.
Another wet weekend in Edinburgh
Fitness & Leisure Centre, Kirkcaldy, Fife.
Ravenscraig flats, Kirkcaldy
Edinburgh Castle and St.Cuthbert's graveyard. Shot with a Sony a6000 fitted with Canon FD28mm plus Cokin pink grad filter.
The Ross Fountain takes pride of place at the most westerly end of Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh. Sculpted by artist Jean-Baptiste Jules Klagmann and produced at the world-famous iron foundry of Antoine Durenne in Sommevoire, France, the cast-iron fountain includes cherubs, mermaids, walrus and lion heads and four female figures representing science, arts, poetry and industry. Edinburgh gun maker, Daniel Ross, saw the fountain in London at the Great Exhibition of 1862 and gifted it to Edinburgh. However, others were less impressed – Dean Ramsay, the mid-Victorian minister of St John’s Episcopal Church, described it as ‘grossly indecent and disgusting; insulting and offensive to the moral feelings of the community and disgraceful to the City.’ Despite this, it has since become a much-loved landmark in the city, and after various periods of partial operation in recent years a full restoration project was undertaken in 2017. The whole conservation process cost around £1.9m, and took around 40,000 hours to restore the fountain. Care was taken to ensure the proper materials were used on the cast-iron structure. 650 litres of paint were used to reintroduce the original colour scheme, which more closely matches that of other French fountains from the same period. The formal switch-on took place on Sunday 8th July 2018.
/Descendent Escalators at the Waverly Mall shopping centre. The original shot was ataken on Fujichrome 100 slide film with a Canon T-90 + FD50mm f1.8
The High Level Bridge is a road and railway bridge spanning the River Tyne between Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead in North East England. It was built by the Hawks family from 5050 tons of iron. George Hawks, Mayor of Gateshead, drove in the last key of the structure on 7 June 1849, and the bridge was officially opened by Queen Victoria later that year. It was designed by Robert Stephenson to form a rail link towards Scotland for the developing English railway network; a carriageway for road vehicles and pedestrians was incorporated to generate additional revenue. The main structural elements are tied cast iron arches. Notwithstanding the considerable increase in the weight of railway vehicles since it was designed, it continues to carry rail traffic, although the King Edward bridge nearby was opened in 1906 to ease congestion. The roadway is also still in use, although with a weight restriction. It is a grade I listed structure. (Wikipedia)
The Tyne Bridge is a through arch bridge over the River Tyne in North East England, linking Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead. The bridge was officially opened on 10 October 1928 by King George V and has since become a defining symbol of Tyneside.